This week, the #SundaySupper Contributors are bringing their favorite picnic foods! It wouldn't be a picnic or a cookout in our house if I didn't make a huge bowl of Mizeria. To my Polish in-laws, this is the best recipe out there! There's nothing fancy about it, and I'm sure there are others on the internet that are identical to what I've done here. This is a very simple dish that shouldn't be altered too much..... the tartness of the cider vinegar combined with the creaminess of the sour cream make a basic flavor that is truly delightful against the salted cucumbers! Heaven in a bowl!
What I've done that's a bit different from other Mizeria recipes is that I've cut back on the sour cream and increased the cucumbers. I find that others out there are too "wet". This ratio, to my taste, is perfect.
- 3 large cucumbers
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
Wash and peel the cucumbers. Slice very thin and place in a non-metal bowl. Sprinkle the salt over the sliced cucumbers and toss with a spoon until the salt coats all of the slices. Place an inverted plate on top of the cucumbers and place something on the plate to lightly weight it down. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Remove the bowl from the refrigerator, and drain the water from the bowl so that all is left in the bowl are the cucumbers. (do not rinse!) In another small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients well. Pour over the cucumbers and lightly mix until all the cucumbers are coated. Place back in the refrigerator until you serve. (minimum of 30 minutes for best flavor) Best if made the same day as serving.
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
If you liked these, you should join us on Twitter! We'll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 6:00 pm CST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.