So, this is why I've been absent. While I was getting my body used to less food and a different "style" of food, I tried to keep things pretty simple. Certainly nothing I cooked during this time was really worthy of being on the blog. I promise that will change. Now that I've moved into "life must go on even while Melanie is on a diet" mode, I commit to being back here on a regular basis. What will you see? You'll likely see a few more recipes that are a bit more healthy as well as more flavorful from spices and marinades. Don't worry--- I still have a family that has zero interest in healthy eating, so I'm sure I'll be baking and making some not-so-low-cal meals and posting those, too.
Anyway, back to today's post. It was great timing to have my first post of 2013 be for the "first birthday" of the Sunday Supper movement! I can't even begin to tell you how much Sunday Supper has changed my life! I'm continually inspired by the wonderful women and men that make up the group. Their talents, both in and out of the kitchen, are a force to be reckoned with....
We are celebrating this week’s birthday event by choosing recipes from contributors that have inspired us in the past year. It was tough to choose, but I wanted to honor Sarah Lee from Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends for all the help that she's given me over the past few months. She's an amazing cook and a fabulous photographer.
One of her recipes, Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce, was really well received and got a ton of re-pins on Pinterest. I really wanted to try it, but with my new eating plan, I knew that I couldn't fry it like she did... so, I decided to lighten it up a bit. My version is below, but if you're not counting calories and don't mind the oil, definitely try the original version. I also used Sriracha in my sweet chili sauce instead of Sambal. I have an unhealthy addiction to Sriracha. I can't help it.
- chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1/3 shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sriracha
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and generously spray with non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray. In a medium bowl, mix the panko crumbs and coconut. Take the chicken strips and dredge them in the beaten egg whites and then immediately dredge them in the panko/coconut mixture, coating well. Place strips on the lined baking sheet. Spray each strip with a spray of non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, turning the chicken strips midway during baking while respraying the other side with more non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray.
While the chicken is baking, prepare the sauce in a small saucepan by combining the orange juice, ketchup, honey and sriracha. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve with the crispy coconut chicken.
Make sure you stop by the other Sunday Supper Contributors to see what inspires them! I can't wait to see everyone's twists on each others meals!
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Beef Stroganoff by What Smells So Good? inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Pieces and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Paella by My Cute Bride inspired by What Smells So Good?
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Coconut Cranberry Honey Nut Cookies by Mama’s Blissful Bites inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In the Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
We are excited to announce a New Addition: Tablescape by An Appealing Plan, Anniversay Dinner featuring Cheesecake with Fresh Berries orginally posted by The Messy Baker Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 6:00 pm CT and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Also, check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.