When I heard about this week's theme, I was so happy! Today is all about "What to do with Thanksgiving Leftovers". We aren't just talking turkey sandwich on white bread with some mayo on it. We're talking some really fine bloggers putting together their best recipes to make this huge meal last for a few more days.
I thought about what was usually left over at my table. There is no shortage of my famous twice baked mashed potatoes. I also make a double batch of green been casserole. Despite the copious amount of those foods, plus the 23 pound turkey, none of that food will go to waste. None of it. What we don't eat, I give to my dad. He's more than happy to take it off our hands.
The food that no one wants to take as a left over are the olives. Every year, I crack open the obligatory can of black olives and put them on the garnish tray. Every single holiday I've ever attended has always had the olive tray. I can't seem to let it go even though its popularity is waning. So, I decided to make an olive tapenade for the next day. Then, we can munch on it while we watch football!
You'll notice that it's not the typical "paste" consistency. Well, dangit, it's *my* tapenade, so I did it like I wanted to do it. I'm not a huge paste fan, so I made mine more coarse. If you're a true tapenade aficionado, you'll want to process yours until it's paste-like.
Additionally, this is what I call the "poor man's tapenade". I just spent $150.00 on Thanksgiving dinner. I'm not spending more money to add to my leftovers. This is about making the most of what I own and using up what I have....this tapenade is bare bones, but it's still delicious!
- 1 can of pitted black olives, diced by hand (or you can use a food processor to create a paste-like consistency. See below for food processor directions)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients. Serve on crostini.
If using a food processor, put the whole olives, plus the remaining ingredients, directly into the food processor. Pulse a few times. Continue to pulse until you reach your desired consistency, using a scrapper to occasionally scrape down the sides.
Now, it's time to figure out what to do with the rest of your leftovers. Make sure to check out the the links below to get great ideas from the rest of the #SundaySupper contributors. It's an amazing line up this week!
Breakfast & Brunch
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls by Juanita’s Cocina
- Turkey Cranberry Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Sweet Potato Biscuits by Home Cooking Memories
- Turkey Enchiladas by Webicurean
- Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole by FamilyFoodie
- Turkey and Cranberry Monte Cristo by Supper for a Steal
- Thanksgiving hangover sandwich by Crispy Bits & Burt Ends
- Turkey Tamale Pie by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Pot Pie by I Run For Wine
- Turkey and Stuffing Pasty by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Turkey Vegetable Hash by Generation Y Foodie
- Turkey Tetrazzini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey and Andouille Gumbo for #SundaySupper by Catholic Foodie
- Red Potato Turkey Cutlets with Ginger & Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Thanksgiving Turkey Banh Mi Sandwich by 30AEats
- Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo by My Catholic Kitchen
- Turkey Mornay Open-Face Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes and Beef Croquettes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Simple and easy! Turkey a la king, fit for a queen! by Midlife Road Trip
- Turkey and Mushroom Risotto by Comfy Cuisine
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Kartoffelpuffer – German Potato Pancakes by MrsMamaHen
- Skillet Turkey Reuben by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- # glutenfree Turkey Shepard’s Cake by Cooking Underwriter
- Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Flatbread Pizza by Damn Delicious
- Turkey shepards pie! by The Realistic Nutritionist
- Turkey & Cranberry Panini with Tarragon Aioli by The Messy Baker Blog
Soups, Salads, Sides & Starters
- Gluten Free Turkey and Dumplings by The Meltaways
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Curried Turkey Salad by Kimchi Mom
- Potato Patties w/ Tomato Salsa by La Cocina De Leslie
- Spicy Coconut Turkey Soup by Diabetic Foodie
- Mashed Potatoes Twice Baked by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Moroccan Chicken Salad with Rice by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Cranberry Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Olive Tapenade by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Leftover Turkey Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding by MarocMama
Sweets & Desserts
- Cranberry Sauce Crumb Bars by girlichef
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping by Shockingly Delicious
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Potato Frosting by Yummy Smells
Wine Pairings for the Recipes Featured
- Wine Pairings for Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on November 18. In the evening we will meet at 6pm CST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.
We’d also love to feature your recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.