When searching, you may find numerous versions of Beef Stroganoff. There are perhaps as many versions of this dish as there are varieties of wine! Some recipes call for white wine and other versions use red wine. We like our meals to be more earthy rather than light and fruity, so we were perfectly happy using our normal recipe for Beef Stroganoff. It only takes about 30-40 minutes from start to finish, so it's super impressive when you're in a rush!
- 1 pound of beef, sliced very thin or cut into small cubes (I recommend strips) Use a high quality beef or your meat could be "tough"
- 4 Tbsp of butter
- 2 Tbsp of all purpose flour
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into strips
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into strips
- 8-12 oz of crimini mushrooms quartered (unless you have mushroom haters, go with the 12 oz)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine (recommend using a Bordeaux, Merlot or an earthy Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 2/3 cup of sour cream
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Parsley (optional)
In a dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp of the butter. Add the garlic and both onions, and saute for 10 minutes.
|Onions cooking and wine/mushrooms at the ready!|
When the onions turn a light golden color, add the flour to the onions and mix until onions are coated. Immediately add the beef broth and wine and stir until all the lumps are gone.
|Delicious Cab entering the mixture--YUM!|
Pour yourself a glass of wine to drink while you continue to cook. This is also where I'd recommend starting the water for the pasta. The rest of the cooking process is going to go very fast, and you'll want your pasta ready when you're done with the stroganoff.
Continue cooking the mixture over medium heat for about 4 minutes. The mixture will become thick. Remove the dutch oven from heat, and empy the onion and sauce mixture into a large bowl and set aside. Wash out the dutch oven so that you can use it for the rest of the cooking process.
Season the beef strips with the paprika, salt, and pepper. Melt the remaining butter in the dutch oven. When the butter is hot, add the quartered mushrooms and cook on medium-high heat until the mushrooms just start to brown up. (about 3-4 minutes) Add the seasoned beef strips and cook until most of the pink is out of the meat. (about 4 minutes) Add the onion/sauce mix back to the dutch oven. Mix in the sour cream and worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat. Serve over noodles or rice and garnish with parsley. (optional)
As part of this Sunday Supper, we are featuring the Schlossadler Family of Wine. Many of this week's participants are featuring dishes cooked and paired with a selection of fruity and dry wines from The Wine Club by Schlossadler Wines. Since 1979, Schlossadler Wines has been importing fine wines from family owned vineyards and bringing it right to your doorstep.
A talented group of Sunday Supper Bloggers have developed fabulous recipes, and they can’t wait to share these wines with you:
- 2006 H.O. Becker, Kerner Auslese, Rheinhessen
- 2010 Ernst Holler, Blaufrankisch, Burgenland
- 2010 Kotuku Winery, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough
- A Midsummer’s Picnic w/ Wine by GirliChef
- Shrimp Scampi with Homemade Garlic Toast by Big Bears Wife
- Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw by ENOFYLZ
- Wine & Dine with Schlossadler International Wine Club by Wine Everyday
- Elegant Pot Roast by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chicken with Feta and Sundried Tomatoes + Apple Crisp by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Shepherd’s Pie with Red Wine Mushroom Gravy by Juanita’s Cocina
- Pork Piccatta by Family Foodie
- Shrimp Skagen Salad in Avocado Halves by Tora’s Real Food
- Shrimp Salad With Lemon Tarragon Dressing by Magnolia Days
- Red, White and Cordon Bleu by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peppercorn Steak by Doggie At The Dinner Table
- Chicken Florentine by There and Back
- Penne Rigate with a White Ragu Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Moules a la Provencale by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Delicious BBQ Ribs by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chicken and Mushroom Chicken Piccata by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Ginger Roast Chicken with Red Wine Plum Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef Stroganoff by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Strawberry-Pink Champagne Sorbet by The Messy Baker Blog
- Italian Style Baby Back Ribs by Cooking Underwriter
- Muscat and Raspberry Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Pretty in Pink Champagne Macarons by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Late Harvest Citrus Cake by Vintage Kitchen Note
- Roasted Sausages with Grapes by Comfy Cuisine
- Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
Join us at 6pm CT for our #SundaySupper Chat with @schlossiwines. Follow along on Twitter by using hashtag #SundaySupper. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.